MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Work in prison (plus)

Default Work in prison (plus)

Hi there! I still don?t know, if work in prison is an opportunity, a privileg or an must, a duty for inmates. Of course, I speak of those, who are not locked away in the high security section!!! I did ask that to my penpal, but she didn?t answer. I don?t think that is a question, that is "touching" censorship!? There are more questions, that she doesn?t answer, but I think, what matters is not censorship, but the mood, she is in. That changes between melancholy, depression and heavy depression (as far as I can "see"). She is a lifer with chance of parole next year. After about 25 years in prison. Sometimes I just don?t know, what to say, when she tells me over and over again, how she hates everything around her and just wants to go home. I know, nobody has a nostrum how to handle such a conversation. I want to be her penpal, friend, not her psychologist, but maybe I have to. I just wanted this to get out of mind. Thank you.

Default Re: Work in prison (plus)

Different places have different systems. Some States and facilities require prisoners to do jobs, some make it a privilege. In county jails becoming a "trusty" is a big deal and a status symbol, while in prisons, being a porter (cleaner) is the lowest of the low job to get.

Or is it spelled "Trustee".

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Hi there! I still don?t know, if work in prison is an opportunity, a privileg or an must, a duty for inmates. Of course, I speak of those, who are not locked away in the high security section!!! I did ask that to my penpal, but she didn?t answer. I don?t think that is a question, that is "touching" censorship!? There are more questions, that she doesn?t answer, but I think, what matters is not censorship, but the mood, she is in. That changes between melancholy, depression and heavy depression (as far as I can "see"). She is a lifer with chance of parole next year. After about 25 years in prison. Sometimes I just don?t know, what to say, when she tells me over and over again, how she hates everything around her and just wants to go home. I know, nobody has a nostrum how to handle such a conversation. I want to be her penpal, friend, not her psychologist, but maybe I have to. I just wanted this to get out of mind. Thank you.
    What state is she in?
    Married 11 years, still waiting.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

http://www.oregon.gov/doc/Pages/index.aspx
    Hello,
    It helps the inmates if ppl order.

Regards