MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting penpal from the UK

Default Visiting penpal from the UK

I?ve seen loads of posts on here of people asking about visiting their US penpals from the UK but has anyone made that trip? Having recently split from my partner and realising life is too short I?m seriously thinking about making a trip to Colorado to visit my PP. I?ve contacted the prison, who may I add are very helpful and extremely friendly, and I can have full day visits Friday, sat and sun which means I only need to spend a short time there. Financially it?s not working out too much either. Just looking to see if it?s really that easy, is a visa required? Any advice welcomed, am I being over excited haha

Blog Entries
    Gerri's: Cloud_9

Default Re: Visiting penpal from the UK

I would advise getting a pre paid dollar card I have one saves messing with currency and a lot safer you will also need an ESTA form
    Once you eliminate the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth

How often do you go Gerri? It’s so scary but exciting but the next step

Blog Entries
    Gerri's: Cloud_9

I go to see my husband in Texas as often as I can, just be sure you stick to the dress code and I advise a sports bra because Texas are getting fussy when the hooks set the alarms off I know all Prisons differ but better to be safe than sorry,
    Once you eliminate the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth

I go over once a year to visit hubby, also in TX. While the UK is part of the EU we can travel under the Visa Waiver Programme. Once Brexit happens, we wont be able to unless we've negotiated a deal with the US by then.

If you can drive, you'll be fine. If you can't, it'll be difficult.
    Married 11 years, still waiting.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

I can drive thank goodness! So we don’t need a visa just our passport? I’ve read up on it and that’s what I seen to understand. The CO sent me the visitation forms today so I need to plan exact dates and I’m allowed to spend 8 hours over 3 days with my PP friend. Very exciting times. I must be mad haha

Moonlampje's: Artistic

You do need to fill out an Esta form online (which will also cost a couple of dollars), After you did you can check online if you got approved. In america you have to do/pay basically everything with a CC, you can however also get money from the atm with your own bankcard.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

UK and most European Union citizens do not need a travel visa to enter the USA.

You are allowed up to 90 days in the country.

However, be aware that there are many travel restrictions and airport security and customs re very strict, so do some research beforehand. If you have any sort of criminal history, or appear on any kind of watch list you may be denied entry and deported. Have your story straight and explain it clear and confident when asked. Often times US customs have a presence at UK and European international airports even before you leave the country.

Once you are in the USA, prisons will treat you just like any other visitor.

Just had the news he is up for probation in February so my trip is on hold until then! If denied it’s another year so I’ll be jumping on a plane then!

Hi, I'm in the same boat and plan visiting my girl for the first time mid year. Prisons are often set in remote locations, so can be difficult to get to. It is a pity they only update their approved visitors list twice a year, so I'm going to receive a form in a few weeks. I wish I had done this earlier, but because you are naturally hesitant early on, this gets put off. I'm not looking forward to travelling, but despite the statements on the state corrections website, I can see my girl for a whole day, well 08:30 to 15:30 at weekends, so like your plan, will make a long weekend of it. As I will not be driving I have already researched hotels nearest to KCIW as well as taxi fares there. The expense all adds up.

Another thing, if your institution is expecting or experiencing bad weather, the prison can go into lock down. That is what happened at KCIW in Kentucky a week ago when the area was hit with heavy snow. So keep an eye on the weather before you leave and be prepared for a sudden change once you are there.

All the best with the parole review, as it will make a pleasant change to hear some good news.
    Be prepared though, because they tend to side more with the feelings of the victims than whether the inmate has worked hard to better themselves and earned the early release.

Best Wishes