MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Spaying cats.

Default Spaying cats.

This is completely off topic, but that's what this sub-forum is for.

Shikaree, my 9 month old female kitten, has an appointment to be spayed next Thursday (January 11th). I can't decide if I want to go through with it.

I have another cat, a male about a year older, named Naja. Naja was neutered last March.

So I don't have any qualms about my kitties going under the knife. The issue might seem silly, but I like it when she goes into heat. I think it's cute. She makes these cute noises. She gets into that cute mating position. She gets super affectionate. It is so cute and brings me joy. And I'm afraid of losing that if she gets spayed.

But here in the U.S. there is so much social pressure to do certain things with regard to pets. First there is that whole "rescue" thing, which I did with Naja (I got him for $15 off someone on Craigslist). Did not do that with Shikaree... I bought her for $220 at a pet store. I can't stand pet rescue. I tried to adopt a cat, and after filling out an application they just ghosted me.

The second pressure of course is the spay and neuter thing. I get that it's good to control the pet population, but my cats are always either indoors or sometimes on the enclosed patio. She won't get pregnant.

So what do you all think? DO I really have to spay her?

Moonlampje's: Artistic

Default Re: Spaying cats.

Yes! Do you have any idea HOW uncomfortable it is for her to have her ?periods?? That alone should be reason enough to have her spayed. And please don?t put her on the ?cat pill?, she?ll most likely get cancer and it is ugly, I know that from experience.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

animals are far more likely to get mamory tumors if they are not spayed...they are so cute in heat though lol

When female cats are in heat, they make an un-holy racket and will go nuts trying to get outside. WHEN they DO, they will most likely get pregnant and you will have to deal with the result. Its not easy finding homes for a bunch of kittens. Most likely you'll have to pay a bundle for shots before a shelter will take them. And a lot of shelters don't.

Ok Shikaree made this decision a lot easier for me. She is in heat for the third time. She has moved beyond all the behaviors I find cute and has added marking to her list of behaviors. She peed on my couch and on a pair of pants which I left on the bed. Both of these things had my scent very prominently. I think that perhaps she viewed me as a rival female cat and needed to let the prospective tomcats know that there was a better mating option around.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the vet appointment is already set and she is going in for the surgery tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    This is completely off topic, but that's what this sub-forum is for.

Shikaree, my 9 month old female kitten, has an appointment to be spayed next Thursday (January 11th). I can't decide if I want to go through with it.

I have another cat, a male about a year older, named Naja. Naja was neutered last March.

So I don't have any qualms about my kitties going under the knife. The issue might seem silly, but I like it when she goes into heat. I think it's cute. She makes these cute noises. She gets into that cute mating position. She gets super affectionate. It is so cute and brings me joy. And I'm afraid of losing that if she gets spayed.

But here in the U.S. there is so much social pressure to do certain things with regard to pets. First there is that whole "rescue" thing, which I did with Naja (I got him for $15 off someone on Craigslist). Did not do that with Shikaree... I bought her for $220 at a pet store. I can't stand pet rescue. I tried to adopt a cat, and after filling out an application they just ghosted me.

The second pressure of course is the spay and neuter thing. I get that it's good to control the pet population, but my cats are always either indoors or sometimes on the enclosed patio. She won't get pregnant.

So what do you all think? DO I really have to spay her?
    Please remember what Bob Barker said: Have pets spayed or
    neutered.
    Also never declaw cats.