MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Germany

Default Re: Hello from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlampje View Post
    The beauty of this whole writing with prisoners experience is that you can choose who you want to correspond with. If you feel uncomfortable writing with a sex offender, you can "skip the ad" (for lack of a better word) and find someone that matches you better on a personal level. There is no harm in that and it will also make sure that you have the best chance of this being an awesome experience and you being the best penfriend you can be.

When I started writing I had the same train of thoughts you did: I mustn't judge. So I wrote someone and decided to not lookup his crime. By the time I did find out (by accident) we were already corresponding for a decent amount of time and I felt that I just couldn't walk away from him like that. But his crime was horrific and it turned out to be a pretty toxic friendship in the end. That is why I decided to not write to sex offenders anymore, but I will not judge those who do. After all, they're not in there for sweaty feet and and in the end killing someone for example isn't any less of a bad crime.

Having that said: if you're an 18 year old youngster making out with your 17 year old girlfriend and you get in a fight, she only has to go to the police, make up some story and you'll be a registered sex offender for the rest of your life. So indeed, like Zarchery said: it is a pretty broad term.

Anyway, welcome and happy writing!
    Thank you for your honest and kind Response.

I haven't decided to write to that sex offender yet, maybe i will, maybe i won't. I think my hesitation is an indicator that it's not for me either.....

Hi Kirsten & hi Aliciaa,

ich gr??e Euch. Was ist nur mit uns Deutschen los, dass wir Schwerverbrechern aus den USA schreiben? (English: hi to you. What's wrong with us Germans when we write to felons in the U.S.?)

Not enough we are countrymen, we don't live that far away from each other. I mean i live in Frankfurt, just 1 hour drive away from you guys.

Let's hope we can contribute in Rehabilitation and mercy..

Hello from D?sseldorf!

Hi Pink Vodka,
    I grew up near Frankfurt, my family 's still around there.
    Some "Gr?ne So?e" (homemade by me) some time next summer (if you like).

I 'm not sure if there's anything "wrong" with us.
    Ancestors of mine made it to Utah, as far as my grandfather used to tell me.
    Apart from that, well, I'm sth. like a prevented wanderer. Normally, I'd be anywhere in the world, probably doing a job requiring a lot of traveling and seeing different cultures.
    I'm just that kind of bird.
    Being unable to do that, I still have a yearning to communicate, learn, teach, nurture, write, talk and listen.
    And I ALWAYS believed "hope" should belong to the charta of human rights.
    They just forgot it when it was written after World War II.
    So what? I don't know how much time I've got left on my hands, so why not play the cards on my hand, do sth. worthwhile with my life as it is and have fun while I can?
    Greetings,
    Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by PinkVodka View Post
    Hi Kirsten & hi Aliciaa,
    ich gr??e Euch. Was ist nur mit uns Deutschen los, dass wir Schwerverbrechern aus den USA schreiben? (English: hi to you. What's wrong with us Germans when we write to felons in the U.S.?)

Not enough we are countrymen, we don't live that far away from each other. I mean i live in Frankfurt, just 1 hour drive away from you guys.

Let's hope we can contribute in Rehabilitation and mercy..
    Hi pink vodka
    Greetings from Cologne 😀
    Yes... i have to penpals and one of them brought the subject up with sth wrong bc with women reaching out to prisoners he did it in a friendly teasing tone just like you and it?s a question worth asking!
    I understand my penpal bc he also is afraid getting scammed or used just like women in the free world and men of course.
    It s a question that can be asked and it shows u take it seriously.
    Aliciia ,

Quote Originally Posted by PinkVodka View Post
    Hi all:

I am PinkVodka, a 38 year old female from Germany. I work as a Project Manager and I have just started to write to inmates. So far i have no experience with inmates, jails or alike; so I am fairly new to this. I do love to write and to receive letters and I am always open to learn and to gain experiences.

I hope we are going to have a great time

Kind regards,
    PinkVodka
    Hello and all the best to you and PPs
    I also love to write and get letters from PPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliciia View Post
    Hi pink vodka
    Greetings from Cologne ��
    Yes... i have to penpals and one of them brought the subject up with sth wrong bc with women reaching out to prisoners he did it in a friendly teasing tone just like you and it?s a question worth asking!
    I understand my penpal bc he also is afraid getting scammed or used just like women in the free world and men of course.
    It s a question that can be asked and it shows u take it seriously.
    Aliciia ,
    Hi Aliciia,

yes, i think it's understandable to question that. I mean, it's obvious, the majority of the population would not be willing to write to a prisoner. I think it could contribute to rehabilitation- that's my main force i think; also, an act of mercy, even if they didn't have mercy with their victims. Besides, i love to write and to receive letters- my 2nd main force

Hallo Pink Vodka😀

I do bc U like to meet and talk to people from different walks of life and I used to live in the USA and was married to an American.
    A long time ago I wrote to death row in high school my English teacher set the contact up.

Now I write to two persons in jail for DUI.
    One drove totally drunk the other with a little bit of alcohol and meth in his system and caused accidents that resulted in death.
    It?s tragic. Still they r criminals.
    I couldn?t write to a robber, murderer or rapist or any sex crime especially not to a child.
    I would not be able to connect to a person.

I have the feeling that I make a difference to them that they get the opportunity in jail to meet someone get to know someone share with someone and they like it.
    I like to hear their stories and their thoughts as both are intelligent man with excellent manners and a good upbringing.

It?s that terrible tragic mistake that brought them to jail to loose everything.
    A familiar experience to me for different reasons so I have a good understanding for it.
    From one pen pal I feel a real great appreciation and thankfulness although he feels mine too ! It?s always mutual and there are people in there really needing just the feeling of hope by meeting somebody new just like going for a drink out.
    And I like to meet new people so it?s a win win.
    I don?t sacrifice myself writing out of mercy to do good without receiving because I think it?s never going to work for long.

Viele Gr??e
    Alicia

Hello from the North of Germany.
    I would like to mention that definitely nothing is wrong with us.

I would point out that writing from overseas may be a little bit of a detractor, because foreign postage does cost inmates extra off their commissary accounts in most cases. Some prisons give inmates one free US stamped letter a month, and that may be the letter they choose to send a pen pal. It may be the case where they can't afford to write to someone outside the USA. This is my experience anyway, it may also work in your favor because it will weed out some of the selfish/scammer types not willing to shell out for extra postage.