MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Inmate Relationship

Default Re: Inmate Relationship

Quote Originally Posted by sunray's wench View Post
    This is not true for many prisons in the US. The only mail in that is not normally opened is legal mail, everything else is inspected and in some states copies are made of incoming and outgoing correspondence and kept on file. That is also true for some inmates in the UK.
    You mean correspondence that comes out of prison? As in, they put the letter in the envelope and the officers seal it?

Mail is most definitely read and inspected, both outgoing and incoming. This does not violate the prisoners' constitutional rights. They do have a constitutional right to receive it -- eventually -- but even that can be severely restricted if the inmate is deemed a security risk to the institution or the public. There are some prisoners out there who are reduced to receiving legal mail and mail from immediate family members (sometimes just father, mother, sibling) -- which is restricted to, say, two or three pages, front and back -- and that mail is first read by the FBI (if in the federal system) before the inmate receives it. Obviously that's an extreme example, but it is entirely within the power of the government to enforce such measures.

It's true that in most prisons at lower custody levels, mail is not going to undergo this level of scrutiny. But mail technicians still inspect and read it cursorily. Sometimes, they will get atached to a conversation between an inmate and an outside correspondent because the two happen to develop a lively and engaging dialogue. There was once a member on here who had a prsion mailroom fan. I think she was a fan of the romance. I myself have had a mail room tech come up to me at visit to meet me in person. It was really cool, and surprsing, and nice -- and a bit weird, on account of having the things in my letters referenced by a complete stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
    You mean correspondence that comes out of prison? As in, they put the letter in the envelope and the officers seal it?
    Yes. in many states, and to my knowledge most DR have incoming and outgoing mail inspected. In \texas inmates are forbidden to seal outgoing mail, that is done by mailroom staff - who are civilians and not guards.

I usually send hubby's mailroom a Christmas card each year as a thank you.
    Married 11 years, still waiting.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone on this thread will be able to help me, but I'm doing some research into dating in prisons and specifically on death row - I'm looking to find out whether anyone knows if inmates on death row are allowed to Skype/Video call their loved ones whilst doing their supervised calls or if it's just voice calls that are allowed?

If anyone has any experience of being able to contact a loved on on death row I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.

Which state?

Quote Originally Posted by Crackitproductions View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone on this thread will be able to help me, but I'm doing some research into dating in prisons and specifically on death row - I'm looking to find out whether anyone knows if inmates on death row are allowed to Skype/Video call their loved ones whilst doing their supervised calls or if it's just voice calls that are allowed?

If anyone has any experience of being able to contact a loved on on death row I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.
    Married 11 years, still waiting.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Sunnysideup's: Thinking

I've just spent an hour or so reading through the thread, it's been very helpful on many levels :

But I want to thank Sunray's wench for the post saying she sends a xmas card to the mail room. i think that's lovely!
    "Light a few candles and burn a few bridges. Not everyone deserves to be a part of your journey."
    Pavana Reddy