MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rest of the world has more compassion than our own people

Default The rest of the world has more compassion than our own people

"Prolonged exposure to involuntary solitary confinement exacts a significant physiological toll, is damaging to the integrity of the mind and personality, and is damaging to the bodily integrity of the person,”

Ireland Refuses to Extradite Man to US Because Prison System is Too "Inhumane"

Blog Entries
    DanPal's: Vegged Out

Default Re: The rest of the world has more compassion than our own people

This is not exactly about solitary confinement, but it does describe the vast difference in prison systems from one country to the next.
    In this case across the Atlantic.
    Natalie attracted my attention to it and thought it was very eye-opening, which it is, if you're new to either system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllBalLSMCQ
    "Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow!" ~ Norman Vincent Peale

''The road back home is never too long'' ~ Amish proverb

DarkStar's: Cool

M
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPal View Post
    This is not exactly about solitary confinement, but it does describe the vast difference in prison systems from one country to the next.
    Natalie attracted my attention to it and thought it was very eye-opening, which it is, if you're new to either system.

Some truth in that, the statistics speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPal View Post

Oh no, the video seems to be down. Do you have another link?

If you want to see a really progressive prison system, Norway is leading the way here. Just search on youtube, there are a lot of videos online about it.

Blog Entries
    DanPal's: Vegged Out

Quote Originally Posted by JuneButterfly View Post
    Oh no, the video seems to be down. Do you have another link?

If you want to see a really progressive prison system, Norway is leading the way here. Just search on youtube, there are a lot of videos online about it.
    The one I posted was about Norway
    "Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow!" ~ Norman Vincent Peale

''The road back home is never too long'' ~ Amish proverb

Well sure, if you cherry pick a small number of the 195 countries and call those "the rest of the world". For once, I'd like to see someone do a fair comparison of U.S. prisons by comparing them to, say, Mexico or Turkey or Honduras.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Well sure, if you cherry pick a small number of the 195 countries and call those "the rest of the world". For once, I'd like to see someone do a fair comparison of U.S. prisons by comparing them to, say, Mexico or Turkey or Honduras.
    The United States is a fully-developed western country with a high GDP and a relatively high standard of living. Honduras, as an example, is a very poor country with a low GDP and an extremely low standard of living. How is that a "fair" comparison? You need to compare America to countries that have strong economies and roughly the same standard of living. Compare them to Canada, France, Denmark, Sweden, The UK, and so on and so forth. Obviously, if a country can't afford to even feed it's people or have indoor plumbing and clean water for everyone, it's probably not going to have a great prison system.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy View Post
    The United States is a fully-developed western country with a high GDP and a relatively high standard of living. Honduras, as an example, is a very poor country with a low GDP and an extremely low standard of living. How is that a "fair" comparison? You need to compare America to countries that have strong economies and roughly the same standard of living. Compare them to Canada, France, Denmark, Sweden, The UK, and so on and so forth. Obviously, if a country can't afford to even feed it's people or have indoor plumbing and clean water for everyone, it's probably not going to have a great prison system.
    I don't see how there is any connection between the strength of a country's economy and the severity with which it punishes its prisoners.

Turkey is pretty well off. 17th in GDP, ahead of, say, Netherlands (18), Denmark (35), and that ever so beloved Norway (31). Yet they have notoriously bad prisons.

Exactly what metric do you want to use to decide if a country should be denigrated or let off the hook? Is it the answer to the simple true/false question: "Is this country the United States?"

If Denmark was claiming to be "the greatest country on Earth", and touting that to everyone that lived there, and everyone that didn't (I'm an American, 12 full grades of school where every morning I got to pledge the flag and sing the national anthem, please don't claim it's not true) - I'd be absolutely disgusted if they were executing people and keeping them in tiny cells, treating the inmates more like animals that people. Singapore canes it's people, I call that a load of horse ****, too. Turkey is absolutely not being let off the hook, funny that you'd say that though. They're not a part of the European Union specifically because they torture prisoners, of course now there's also a dictator, but to claim that they're being "let off" by the rest of the world is false.

Fyodor Dotoevsky famously said, "The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Right on.