MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The rest of the world has more compassion than our own people

Default Re: The rest of the world has more compassion than our own people

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy View Post
    If Denmark was claiming to be "the greatest country on Earth", and touting that to everyone that lived there, and everyone that didn't (I'm an American, 12 full grades of school where every morning I got to pledge the flag and sing the national anthem, please don't claim it's not true) - I'd be absolutely disgusted if they were executing people and keeping them in tiny cells, treating the inmates more like animals that people. Singapore canes it's people, I call that a load of horse ****, too. Turkey is absolutely not being let off the hook, funny that you'd say that though. They're not a part of the European Union specifically because they torture prisoners, of course now there's also a dictator, but to claim that they're being "let off" by the rest of the world is false.
    I find that most Americans aren't nearly as jingoistic as that. That's just my personal experience. And I think citizens of every country have some degree of national pride.

But my point was that the title of the thread specifically said that "the rest of the world has more compassion than our own people", which is a shitty argumentative thing to say, as it states that America is not just deficient in some way, but that it is actively the worst. Does Turkey have more compassion than we do? Or Singapore? I readily admit that America has its flaws, but I am tired of it being painted as some sort of third world fascist hellscape.

I'm iffy about huge runs in solitary confinement, but its existence is absolutely a necessary evil. These people are already in prison. If you didn't have some way to punish them further to discourage bad behavior, they would utterly run amok. What's going to stop a guy serving Life Without Parole from repeatedly committing violent assaults and murders? Do all these wonderful enlightened European countries just have a more polite class of prisoners than we do?

Sporadium's: Snobbish

Interesting discussion and, to quote some old game show, "everyone is a winner". I think both points of view are correct as they are opposite sides of the same coin.
    If you take the position that the US is just a country in the world then it isn't that bad in the scale of things. It could be much better, sure, all countries could.
    If you take the view or are reacting against the view that the US is land of the free, home of the brave, the nation where all want to go etc, etc., then the US penal system is terrible as it goes against the freedom, fairness and justice that are often espoused and which are often blindly said to be the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    I find that most Americans aren't nearly as jingoistic as that. That's just my personal experience. And I think citizens of every country have some degree of national pride.
    Although I agree that Americans may not be as jingoistic as people may think, I am also surprised by the surprise many Americans have about why foreigners may perceive them as so. If you were to see a country that doesn't sign up to agreements on war crimes, a country which spends far greater sums on its military than nearly all others combined, which maintains a military presence in many countries (often to the ire of the locals), which stockpiles nuclear bombs and remains the only country to have used them in violence (an horrific act in my opinion), which has been engaged in almost ceaseless warfare around the world, which has a somewhat militarized culture with a huge national guard and where any value to the nation is trumped by the question "Have you actually served?", where the towns and cities are littered with military monuments and streets, schools and so on are named after battles or generals, where video games and movies glorify war and combat, where many politicians have a connection with the military, where the head of state threatens countries with violence, and so on - would you view this country as a peaceful country? Imagine the country is not your own and you are viewing this country from the outside - would you view it as a peaceful country and a real force for good in the world?

Although I may be in the US camp, I do sometimes despair at this disconnect between how the US sees itself, what it is and does, and how it is seen overseas. Many Americans are not jingoistic and be actively working to change their country. The same is true of Saudi Arabia, Iraq, France, Argentina and so on. But when people look at those countries from the outside, they don't look at the hard work of people trying to change it, they look at the current structure of the country, who is in power, what they are doing and what they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadium View Post
    Although I agree that Americans may not be as jingoistic as people may think, I am also surprised by the surprise many Americans have about why foreigners may perceive them as so.
    Some people just take nationalism way too seriously & history shows us that this form of nationalism often leads to disastrous results. If I said to someone I did not like, the new shade of Yellow that a car manufacturer had introduced. Would that make me anti that car manufacturer? It is the same with countries or the military. You can oppose aspects of what a country does, or even is, with out it being anti that country. You can even be against a lot of what the military are asked to do, but still respect service personnel.
    Sadly some people just lack the intellect to be anything more than black & white about anything & then truly do not understand how anyone else could possible not just see black & white, but varying shades of grey between as well.
    This lack of perspective is not an American condition, it's a human condition.
    Every person has their own story.

nationalism.jpg
    See your local doctor if you show signs of nationalism