MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Sending money to inmate.

Default Sending money to inmate.

So I've been reading through a few of these threads and the rules for sending money. I've just been wondering how exactly you send it. The rules say not to send cash? Can anyone clarify this for me.

Also, sorry if this has already been covered, I'm new.

Default Re: Sending money to inmate.

You can send funds Western Union or jpay. I do not know of any state that allows cash to be sent. Look up the DOC rules for his/her state to get all the information on how to send money to an inmate.

Unless you are talking about someone you already know well or are related to, I wouldn't send funds to someone who just recently became a pp.

Hi gooddog:

Great advice.

I am compassionate but realistic. a PP has no IDEA how many other PP are writing to the same inmate.

Ideally, with enough pen pal ads, 1,000 PP worldwide sending a mere $10 = $10,000 a month income to an inmate.

I am sure no inmate gets 1,000 PP.

I am just giving a worst case scenario.

Raymond.

Hi Again:

I found this on the web:

Female inmates charged with defrauding hundreds in pen-pal scam

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Ten female inmates in Pennsylvania jails and prisons have been indicted on charges they bilked more than 300 pen-pals — mostly men — out of thousands of dollars by lying to them and promising long-term relationships.
    Don Hart, one of the alleged victims, said he had been looking for friendship when he subscribed to the pen-pal service. He was contacted by Yvette Stewart, an inmate at the prison in Cambridge Springs serving out her sentence on third-degree murder charges. Stewart was among the women indicted Thursday.
    At first the two sent each other letters and photos, said Hart, of Columbia, Ind. Then, he said, she asked for money. "I thought there was a slight possibility that this wasn't safe, but never thought it was a 'scam,'" Hart said Friday.
    According to the indictments, the women placed personal ads in tabloid magazines and on Web sites. When the men responded, the women often sent phony photos and told them they were to be released from prison soon, the indictments alleged.
    Alleged victims, bilked out of nearly $260,000, were from around the nation, including Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Virginia and Wisconsin. The women were charged with mail fraud or conspiracy to commit mail fraud.
    According to one indictment, seven of the women — not including Stewart — worked together in the scam. It wasn't clear Friday if Stewart, who allegedly defrauded 29 people out of more than $10,200, had an attorney.
    Hart said he probably gave Stewart less than $100 and has written other inmates — though he's not sure he'll do so in the future. "I trust people and I never thought there was anything wrong with that," he said.

All I can do is try to be informed rather than naïve.

Raymond

Hi Raymond, Welcome to write a prisoner and the forum. I'm glad that you are enjoying writing to inmates. It truly is a rewarding experience.

I do get the feeling that you are concentrating on the negative of pen paling from the few posts you've made about inmates scamming pen pals. While I can't deny it doesn't happen I think putting too much thought into it can ruin the experience. It sounds like you have a handle on what can be a scam so I'd say you are pretty safe. Also, a lot of these posts you are responding to are from years ago and from members that may or may not still be active on the site. I'd recommend that you post some new threads with some topics you might be interested in or questions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by LodiWriter View Post
    Hi Again:

I found this on the web:

Female inmates charged with defrauding hundreds in pen-pal scam

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Ten female inmates in Pennsylvania jails and prisons have been indicted on charges they bilked more than 300 pen-pals — mostly men — out of thousands of dollars by lying to them and promising long-term relationships.
    Don Hart, one of the alleged victims, said he had been looking for friendship when he subscribed to the pen-pal service. He was contacted by Yvette Stewart, an inmate at the prison in Cambridge Springs serving out her sentence on third-degree murder charges. Stewart was among the women indicted Thursday.
    At first the two sent each other letters and photos, said Hart, of Columbia, Ind. Then, he said, she asked for money. "I thought there was a slight possibility that this wasn't safe, but never thought it was a 'scam,'" Hart said Friday.
    According to the indictments, the women placed personal ads in tabloid magazines and on Web sites. When the men responded, the women often sent phony photos and told them they were to be released from prison soon, the indictments alleged.
    Alleged victims, bilked out of nearly $260,000, were from around the nation, including Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Virginia and Wisconsin. The women were charged with mail fraud or conspiracy to commit mail fraud.
    According to one indictment, seven of the women — not including Stewart — worked together in the scam. It wasn't clear Friday if Stewart, who allegedly defrauded 29 people out of more than $10,200, had an attorney.
    Hart said he probably gave Stewart less than $100 and has written other inmates — though he's not sure he'll do so in the future. "I trust people and I never thought there was anything wrong with that," he said.

All I can do is try to be informed rather than naïve.

Raymond
    If you are posting something from any other website, you really should include a link back or at least say where it comes from, otherwise WAP could be hit with a DMCA notice. Your article can be found here: USATODAY.com - Female inmates charged with defrauding hundreds in pen-pal scam

It was also from 2004 - something to consider is that PA will certainly have tighter rules now as a consequence of this behaviour.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Two things.

1) This:

Quote Originally Posted by sunray's wench View Post
    If you are posting something from any other website, you really should include a link back or at least say where it comes from, otherwise WAP could be hit with a DMCA notice. Your article can be found here: USATODAY.com - Female inmates charged with defrauding hundreds in pen-pal scam

It was also from 2004 - something to consider is that PA will certainly have tighter rules now as a consequence of this behaviour.
    and

2) There are scammers everywhere - behind bars, behind desk, behind the wheel. Exercise the same skepticism with a pen-pal you would about anyone else.
    ------------
    Men plan. God laughs

Quote Originally Posted by A Driver For Hire View Post

2) There are scammers everywhere - behind bars, behind desk, behind the wheel. Exercise the same skepticism with a pen-pal you would about anyone else.
    I cannot like this enough. Opportunists abound everywhere. As do decent and sincere people.

I have just tried to send my PP a few dollars for her upcoming birthday, I didn't realise just how hard it would be to send money from the UK to a US inmate! And I still haven't found out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_UK View Post
    I have just tried to send my PP a few dollars for her upcoming birthday, I didn't realise just how hard it would be to send money from the UK to a US inmate! And I still haven't found out how to do it.
    Try here: http://jpay.com/PMoneyTransfer.aspx
    Epistula enim non erubescit - Marcus Tullius Cicero.