MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Conspiring to Possess w/Intent to Distribute

Default Conspiring to Possess w/Intent to Distribute

I'm writing to a female prisoner who was sentenced for 5 years in a Federal Prison for Conspiring to Possess w/Intent to Distribute.
    I told her upfront that I'm looking for a PenPal, nothing intimate - just friends. However, I prefer to write to someone who isn't an addict. She wrote back and said that although she dabbled in drugs she never was an addict. She was more interested in making money.

With a charge like this, would you believe any person who claims they never were an addict?
    I know that many will respond by saying, "Who cares if she is an addict or not?"
    My preference is not to write to someone who isn't an addict.

Default Re: Conspiring to Possess w/Intent to Distribute

I just re-read my post and the "Edit" function isn't there anymore.
    I meant to write:

My preference is to write to someone who isn't an addict.

May I ask why you prefer to write someone who's not an addict? Is it triggering for you? If that's not the case, I don't think I'd understand why. I'm sure there are people with charges like these who were never addicted. Who cares if she WAS addicted? She probably won't be using drugs in prison, so if she was addicted, she's not anymore.

I knew someone who shall remain nameless that grew and dealt pot back in the days when it was still illegal - he didn't smoke it, nor did he smoke cigarettes or drink. He was purely in it for the money. For the record, I just knew him through art class, I was not one of his clients. Had he been caught, he would have been charged with exactly the same thing (Possession with Intent to Distribute), but he was totally clean and made decent grades. (Edit: Obviously this guarantees nothing, but it's an example that supports the possibility of her statement being truthful.)

Spriggs944's: In Love

I imagine that most drug dealers aren’t addicts. They’d never make any money if they were addicted to what they are trying to sell! That’s my logic anyway!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
    William Ernest Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs944 View Post
    I imagine that most drug dealers aren?t addicts. They?d never make any money if they were addicted to what they are trying to sell! That?s my logic anyway!

My personal experience is that almost all of the lower level dealers are users who sell to support their own habits / use.
    And having worked with substance misuser's, most will tell you they are not addicts, even when it is clear to anyone & everyone else that they are.
    With regards to the offence. I do not know about America but here in the UK, sometimes the only difference between possession & possession with intent to distribute (supply,) is the quantity. If it's perceived as more than is for personal use, then it's for distribution, (Supply.)
    Also if someone is transporting drugs, then, it's for distribution. Even if the person transporting the drugs is not going to resell them.
    I use to work with a truck driver who ended up in prison for distribution. He knowingly transported a few packages, for the money involved & was caught. The substance he used was caffeine.
    So it is perfectly possible to end up with a conviction for distribution, even if you are not a drug user yourself.
    Every person has their own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs944 View Post
    I imagine that most drug dealers aren’t addicts. They’d never make any money if they were addicted to what they are trying to sell! That’s my logic anyway!
    Well, they say "don't get high on your own supply", but not everyone adheres to that motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxi View Post
    My personal experience is that almost all of the lower level dealers are users who sell to support their own habits / use.
    And having worked with substance misuser's, most will tell you they are not addicts, even when it is clear to anyone & everyone else that they are.
    With regards to the offence. I do not know about America but here in the UK, sometimes the only difference between possession & possession with intent to distribute (supply,) is the quantity. If it's perceived as more than is for personal use, then it's for distribution, (Supply.)
    Also if someone is transporting drugs, then, it's for distribution. Even if the person transporting the drugs is not going to resell them.
    I use to work with a truck driver who ended up in prison for distribution. He knowingly transported a few packages, for the money involved & was caught. The substance he used was caffeine.
    So it is perfectly possible to end up with a conviction for distribution, even if you are not a drug user yourself.
    That's how is here in the U.S.A. the amount is how they differentiate the charge(s).. But IMO of all the different types of crimes, a dealer and an addict are the least of crimes. I do have 4 crimes/charges that I refuse to write to. They are crimes I've seen others here feel okay with writing to. My" refuse to write to" list is ANY crime against a child, elder abuse and rape and kidnapping

Moonlampje's: Artistic

I have nothing to contribute but would like to say that I love this thread, I learn so many new things

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters