MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jpay related question

Default Re: Jpay related question

Hi.
    I have another question, do prisoners have access to computers and email anytime ?
    Ive only just started writing to somone in Colorado, but Im find jpay and stamps and codes etc a bit confusing.
    Thanks

From what I've gathered, some inmates have access to tablets (they come in various sizes) and they sync up their tablets with the kiosks in the prisons at certain times of day. They can download music and emails, then read and respond to them, but in order to send them they have to do so through the kiosk again (they save it as a draft, then send it later). If they don't have a tablet, they have to type their replies directly on the kiosk, and apparently there's some kind of time limit (I've been told it's 15 minutes, but it may differ from facility to facility). One of the fellows I write to says that he writes in his bunk after they're in for the night, because it's relatively quiet and he finds it's easier to order his thoughts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "codes"?

Stamps are standard - you pay X amount for X amount of stamps (depending on where you live, it costs more per stamp). 1 stamp per page of text that you send, plus 1 additional stamp for every attached photograph or e-card, or snap n send (JPay mobile phone app) and multiple stamps for video grams (only available through the JPay mobile app). The inmate is limited to 6k characters per stamp, and they usually pay about 10cents for a stamp depending on where they are (I pay quite a bit more than that for my stamps, which is why I took advantage of the sale happening right now on JPay).

I hope this helps.

Zascha's: Breezy

What Derpy said is correct for a lot of facilities, but two of my pen pals actually has WiFi in their units so that they do not have to go to the kiosk to sync their tablets. However, I'm not sure how many facilities has this "service". It's pretty great, though!