My son loved to draw. He drew pictures of his imaginary worlds, three panel comics, and his "inventions". Now he's studying to be a graphical designer (like his father).

We used to make our own bedtime stories sometimes. I'd ask him for three things: a season, an object (or person/animal), and a problem or challenge. Then I lead in the story, weaving something around those three, then he started taking over parts, until he got stuck, then let me finish it. We'd always make sure that it fit within his imaginary worlds to keep it in his comfort zone. His part of the stories was kind of theraputic, because it allowed him to bring something to the table he couldn't express directly. Sometimes they were problems he encountered in school, and sometimes they were a way for him to give a "real" hug instead of the usual "Pinocchio" hug. His Transformers phase was difficult for me, because I always messed up the characters and he enjoyed his "world without feelings", because "robots don't feel".

@PDS Sheldon, yes, he's a prime example. I have a friend who is a lot like him, but she looks and in some ways acts like Amy. Her field is religious history and once she gets started...

If anything, people with a different view on the world can help us gain a perspective we never considered before. Life can be beautiful that way too.