MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: How did you go about choosing your DR pen pal?

Default How did you go about choosing your DR pen pal?

I really want to write a death row prisoner but I don't know how to choose one. I read the crime details for each individual one and I get scared. I know deep down, we're all the same and I bet they are lonely and scared themselves. I need someone to assign me one. (Jk).

Default Re: How did you go about choosing your DR pen pal?

In my experience the person you should write is the person's ad you keep going back to. If at this moment you're not regularly checking out one particular ad, then I think it means that you have to continue your search until you do.

Sporadium's: Snobbish

Quote Originally Posted by Teacuplittle View Post
    I read the crime details for each individual one and I get scared.
    Well, that's why they are there I guess. It is a sentence applied with little consistency, but they do tend to be the ones that did the most horrific crimes. I thought about writing one long ago but chose not to. Having read profiles and then read the crimes and the stories, I just couldn't do it. Having thought about that, it made it clear who I wanted to write to - people who I can relate to in some way. By this I mean people who did something that I can imagine myself doing in certain situations, and are now paying for it. I could never imagine butchering my own grandparents, riding with a race-hate gang and murdering someone or killing several people in multiple shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadium View Post
    Well, that's why they are there I guess. It is a sentence applied with little consistency, but they do tend to be the ones that did the most horrific crimes. I thought about writing one long ago but chose not to. Having read profiles and then read the crimes and the stories, I just couldn't do it. Having thought about that, it made it clear who I wanted to write to - people who I can relate to in some way. By this I mean people who did something that I can imagine myself doing in certain situations, and are now paying for it. I could never imagine butchering my own grandparents, riding with a race-hate gang and murdering someone or killing several people in multiple shootings.
    I like the point you're making, Sporadium. As a matter of fact, we are not all the same deep down. I think that is an assumption most people with a conscience make, but there really are people who don't have it and do not relate to their fellow human beings as the majority does. I am not sure what that means for a potential correspondence with someone like this. A further obstacle for me personally would be that all (well, almost all) death row prisoners are in the process of automatic appeal and therefore always deny culpability. As such, the conversation lends itself to a lot of denial right out the gate. The only time I've ever entertained the possibility of writing to a death row prisoner was when he was candid and forthcoming with his guilt. I remember one such case in Texas (cannot recall the prisoner's name now), and, as I recall, even though it was a very bad crime, my take-away from reading on the case was that the guy truly did not intend to kill the police officer. I thought that, of most of the DR guys, he should have been the first in line to get a break. It was ironic that he ended up having one of the shortest stints on DR due to his refusal of the appeal process.