MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Hello yall

Talking Hello yall

Hi, I've been listening to the Ear Hustle podcast and it's had me thinking about inmates and how they can be great people who just did one thing as a kid and now have this junk life. I also have an uncle in prison and another who's a prison guard.

I tried volunteering to teach or tutor math and other stuff at local prisons here in NYC, but most places seemed uninterested. One place said I could come between 6-8 but those are work hours for me. So I thought about starting up a pen pal relationship. Now I'm kind of wondering how I can find someone who's likely to be a good match. I feel like I could offer a lot to someone who wants to learn certain college subjects from math and science to philosophy and history. But I'm not sure how to find out about people like that.

Welp, that's about it! Hope yall are doing well and look forward to to connecting with cool people!

Best wishes,
    Adam

Blog Entries
    gooddog's: Inspired

Default Re: Hello yall

Quote Originally Posted by Addem View Post
    Hi, I've been listening to the Ear Hustle podcast and it's had me thinking about inmates and how they can be great people who just did one thing as a kid and now have this junk life. I also have an uncle in prison and another who's a prison guard.

I tried volunteering to teach or tutor math and other stuff at local prisons here in NYC, but most places seemed uninterested. One place said I could come between 6-8 but those are work hours for me. So I thought about starting up a pen pal relationship. Now I'm kind of wondering how I can find someone who's likely to be a good match. I feel like I could offer a lot to someone who wants to learn certain college subjects from math and science to philosophy and history. But I'm not sure how to find out about people like that.

Welp, that's about it! Hope yall are doing well and look forward to to connecting with cool people!

Best wishes,
    Adam
    It is NOT easy getting a program started in prison, I totally agree. There are often a lot of internal politics going on about that. Some of the really huge, successful programs have been through universities in San Francisco, Portland, and NYC that bring college to the inmates. It's really needed to have one on one tutoring of course but really hard to do without being part of an existing program. I wanted to do some classes and ran into a huge wall of politics, butt hurt by others that were already doing classes, etc. etc. You'd think they'd jump at the chance for a volunteer but nope, it really isn't that easy for many reasons.

You can find out if any universities are running college or tutoring programs in the prisons near you and find out how to get involved with them perhaps.

Hope you find some good people to give your gift to.

Hey that's a great idea, reminds me that there's a school called John Jay out here that is about criminal justice. I'll see if I can't write a department head or prof who can advise.

Great forum you got here!

Blog Entries
    gooddog's: Inspired

For instance: Portland State University had a program where inmates would be matched up with college students for creative writing classes. What an amazing idea! Outside tutors for guys already in degree programs is also a great idea. Yes, contacting a university or already existing program is the way to go. It's always irritated me that prisons near certain cities get the benefit of prison degree programs put on by universities and other prisons not near a city that has anything like that going on get nothing.

Totally agree--if there were a way to help people from a distance, through like online meetings or pen pals, I'd certainly do it. I'm from the south and think a lot about how talented people live out there in rural areas and just don't have the support that you get in the cities. I just spent the evening writing emails to some google search results and we'll see what I get back.

There are many inmates who are interested in phylosophy! You just need time to find the correct person. I found two amazing guys who are interested in phylosophy and economics like me. We have really long and interesting conversations, I am so glad.
    So don't worry, there are interesting people and you seem am intelligent person so just trust in your instincts!

There are many inmates who are interested in philosophy! You just need time to find the correct person. I found two amazing guys who are interested in philosophy and economics like me. We have really long and interesting conversations, I am so glad.
    So don't worry, there are interesting people and you seem an intelligent person so just trust in your instincts.
    (Edited)

Hi Sashassai, thanks for the input. How did you find the guys you're corresponding with? Did you do like a keyword search in a database, or just write to a bunch of people and eventually found these two?

Also, just to make sure I got the right idea--when you find an inmate on any of these search sites, you gotta then write a physical letter and mail it to their address, no email or anything like that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Addem View Post

Best wishes,
    Adam
    Hi Adam, that sounds like a great idea but math sounds very hard.
    (but all the best to you.)
    Like you said if I was in prison would like to learn history in other countries.