MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting PPs

Question Visiting PPs

Have any of you ever visited any of your PPs in prison? How did it go? Would you recommend it?

Default Re: Visiting PPs

I visited two friends in prison. Each twice.

It went fine. It was nice to put a face to the letters. Each visit was about 6 hours long. That may sound like a long time and you might wonder what could you talk about for a visit to last so long? I know I did. I wondered if there would be any awkward silence and nope, there wasn't. In fact, the time flew by and seemed like I was there just an hour.

Processing to get into the facility is interesting and if you ever plan on visiting, be sure to check the website on appropriate clothing. Lots of rules to follow, even down to what you can take inside the facility. Going from letters, to phone calls, to visits is a natural progression and deepens the friendship and bond. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My PP is in Southern California and I live in Missouri. Even if I did make a trip to California, I would go to the San Francisco Bay Area where I have family and friends. Thus, I'm not very likely to visit my current PP in prison. For now, my question is hypothetical -- but who knows with the future will bring. Perhaps I'll get a PP in Missouri some day.

Just today, I put the first letter in the mail -- I guess were not actually PPs yet, but I'm hopeful.

SJC, I'm glad to hear about your positive experience.

Thank you.

What facility is your perspective pen pal in?

Moonlampje's: Artistic

Yes! I went to visit my Florida boy last february and it was AWESOME! I'm from The Netherlands and one of my best friends was kind enough to take me to America (she paid for my ticket). I wasn't on his visitation list and since we would be going to Arizona and Nevada, it wasn't logical to apply for his visitation list. 2 weeks before we would fly out to America my friend said: "what if we stay a week longer and you can go visit Roy?"

So I had to apply for his visitation list in a hurry, and it was only in America that I heard I was approved, so I didn't tell him I would come see him. I just didn't want him to get his hopes up and be disappointed if in the end I couldn't come anyway.

We booked a ticket for me from Las Vegas to Jacksonville and I flew there all by myself, which was a HUGE deal for me, because I had never traveled on my own. Heck, I hadn't even been outside of my hometown before I went to America, and no, I'm not kidding. So going to Florida with no creditcard, no driverslicense was nerve wracking at it's best. I flew during the night and one thing I learned is that I love flying, but I can't sleep during a flight. So when I came to the prison I was almost dead, lol

Getting into the visitation room was pretty easy: I had to show my passport and take a picture. Then I had to go through metal detection, and got patted down by an officer. I was so nervous that I was afraid I wouldn't recognize him and asked the officer if he would already be waiting there. She said that he had to go through strip search and stuff so most likely I would be the one waiting for him. And indeed, I had to wait for about 7-8 minutes before he showed up. But I'll never forget his face, the look on it was just priceless. He was so happy to see me that he ran into my arms, hugged me, kissed me and forgot to check in with the officer on duty, lol .

I would recommend visiting to everyone, it is such an amazing experience, especially if your penfriend doesn't get many visitors. It really changes their world.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

SATF Corcoran

Moonlampje,

I truly appreciate your story. After I'm comfortable with my first PP, I'll make a point of finding someone close enough that I can visit.

Thank you.

Moonlampje's: Artistic

Quote Originally Posted by mensasnem View Post
    Moonlampje,

I truly appreciate your story. After I'm comfortable with my first PP, I'll make a point of finding someone close enough that I can visit.

Thank you.
    You'll never know. Maybe you'll end up liking your first pal so much that you do want to visit him. Don't rush in to any conclusions. I came all the way from the Netherlands and had to book an extra 8 hour flight just to see my florida boy for the first time. It was SO worth it.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

Quote Originally Posted by mensasnem View Post
    Moonlampje,

Thank you.
    I made it a point to choose someone close enough to visit as I knew if we got along well, I would definitely want to visit. I am scheduled to visit my third friend in October.

Not drawing any conclusions at this point, but currently my reality is that I can't afford to visit someone in California. But, I'm not saying I wouldn't -- just that currently it's not feasible.