MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Friend, Relative, Acquaintance

Default Friend, Relative, Acquaintance

Do you have a friend, relative, or acquaintance who is (or was) in prison?

In my case, my son served a two-year sentence. The first year was spent in jail awaiting placement in prison. The second year was spent in prison. He later died in an off-road motorcycle accident.

I also worked for an attorney for eleven years and many of his clients were incarcerated.

Moonlampje's: Artistic

Default Re: Friend, Relative, Acquaintance

No I don't. Of course the penfriends I have now are my friends and they are in prison, but I guess that is not what you're referring to, lol

What does make me sad is a lot of people in America have their entire family in prison. I'm a member of a lot of incarcerated loved ones facebook groups, and it is just heartbreaking when someone tells that their mom or dad are in prison, but also their siblings, uncles and whatnot.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

In my PP's profile, he mentions that he's in weekly contact with this siblings (on the outside). I'm glad he has a support network in place and I hope to become part of that.

Friend went to prison when I was 17, then another when I was 18 and I started writing to inmates in the UK. Over the years a few other friends have done time. No close family members except hubby now, though a few of my ancestors have also done time.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

I hadn't thought about friends from childhood.

The brother of a friend I had in high school is, I believe, serving a life sentence for murder. There were four boys in that family -- one died at birth. The oldest completed suicide while hiding in a dog house from the police who were chasing him down -- he was married and had a child. The next one is serving the life sentence. The youngest (my friend) died at 24 of congestive heart failure -- he was a total druggie -- so were his brothers, for that matter.

Moonlampje's: Artistic

Quote Originally Posted by mensasnem View Post
    In my PP's profile, he mentions that he's in weekly contact with this siblings (on the outside). I'm glad he has a support network in place and I hope to become part of that.
    it is always amazing when they have a strong support network. There are not many of them who do.

Here's my Christmas Jitters Fanfiction in the making. Would love some feedback:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1261520...istmas-Jitters

Out of sight, out of mind.

I suppose, most of the time, it's just easier to forget and move on. "Don't you have a brother in Prison?" "Yeah. So, how's work going?"

While my son was in jail awaiting prison placement, I visited him every week -- Thursday night.

When he moved to prison, I kept in contact by mail, sent him some books, put money on his account, etc., but never made the trip there to visit him. If I had it do to over, I'd go visit him.

I have never been embarrassed about having a son in prison. He made some bad choices and served time for it. He never stopped being my son.

I have had quite a few friends and some family members serve time. I am not new to the system. I was so glad to find the write a prisoner network which got me in touch with an old friend and a couple new ones and now, my fiance.

The three friends I've met have all been very close to their mothers and have spoken highly, and often, of them.

Two have siblings who refuse to have a relationship with their inmate brother. One has the support of all four brothers.