MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: USPS

Default USPS

Hello !
    I wrote to my penpal and I posted the letter on 17th of January from Germany, I used the tracking option and now the letter arrived in USA but it's in "transit to destination" since more than one week so I tried to contact USPS but to email them I need to have a US address or I can call them but it's very expensive, do you have any advices or did it happen to you ?
    Thanks !

Default Re: USPS

Generally, tracking is unnecessary when sending letters to inmates. Prisons are big places and receive lots of mail during the week, so the postman is familiar with the location. Prison staff generally wont sign for individual items of mail, so its a wats of your money sending something that way.

Give it at least 4 weeks, and then perhaps send a card just in case the original letter didn't get to the inmate.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Thanks for you answer ! I tracked it because I had issues at the post office, the woman was very suspicious about the letter and she made a big deal about it so I was a little bit worried about what she was going to do with it...

Then report her to your postal service - staff are not paid to express their opinions about where or who you write to.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Can you look up the correct postage cost on line and then just go into the Post Office and buy stamps for that value?

Then just drop it in the post box yourself. I've done that sometimes, as I had problems with the post office "forgetting" to put stamps on that i had paid for. I use a different one now as this one was clearly up to no good/completely incompetent as I was short changed twice as well by two different people. The other PO is fine but I still buy stamps in advance sometimes, then write the letter and drop it in the post box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmatar View Post
    Thanks for you answer ! I tracked it because I had issues at the post office, the woman was very suspicious about the letter and she made a big deal about it so I was a little bit worried about what she was going to do with it...

DAI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    Can you look up the correct postage cost on line and then just go into the Post Office and buy stamps for that value?
    There's no reason why this shouldn't be possible, I do it myself. In some countries you can buy stamps online and have them sent to you (Germany), in others you can buy them in all manner of shops (USA) without needing to go to a post office. I have a postbox right across the street from me which is emptied each morning and already know how much a letter weighs for each level of postage, so it's just a case of sticking a stamp on and running across the street.

They have to send it or return it.......I would venture that it is at the State Confinment Mail Room which could be on the other side of the state.....Imagine sorting through inmates letters, packages and the usual parcel/mail that goes with a large corporation and sending it out to the various units (Buildings) across the state.....Let alone foods.....Kinda like sending a letter overseas to someone in the Military.....