MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: God help America

Default Re: God help America

Quote Originally Posted by natalieandjames View Post
    What I mean by that sweetie is that no matter what anyone else says or has done, well you've done it 3 times while water skiing backwards and talkin' to Elvis.
    Really? Sorry, after such a short time here - on my part - I'm so pleased that you know me so well. The reference to historical matters, to text books and the like? It was my job. That's what I did for forty years. My only comment in this matter was over an exceptionally well-known meme showing Jesus riding a dinosaur which - you will already know this - refers exclusively to bible-thumpers who write off science, evolution and the real events of the Civil War in the USA (not the ones I was involved in: Ireland through the Eighties, Yugoslavia in the Nineties). You will also know that there are some States in the Union which have stickers in the front of school text books denying evolution. You will also know that school text books in Texas play down or do not mention the true origins of the Civil War and the position of slaves in the South and also play down at your official State history and compare it to the official history of the USA.n the recorded words of those who, at the time, clearly said that slavery was a good thing and must be continued. Read a little Eric Foner to catch up, or go look at some of the books and compare them to other States, look at the official history of the USA and compare it to what is being taught in some schools.

No, sorry to disappoint you, have haven't done 3 times more than anyone else, and I've never claimed it. I can't water ski - or swim, and I don't like Elvis who, believe it or not, is dead and not so easy to talk to right now - sorry to break the news to you. One thing is true, though: throughout my long life (check the birthdate!) I've listened and learned, and never had any reason to criticise anyone else for their lack of intelligence; only when they are clearly wrong in facts (Brexit).

Should I make an exception here?
    Epistula enim non erubescit - Marcus Tullius Cicero.

You can't swim? You were in the army though, right? I would have thought being able to negotiate water would have been deemed quite important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadium View Post
    You can't swim? You were in the army though, right? I would have thought being able to negotiate water would have been deemed quite important.
    The ability to swim is not a requirement, we have a swim test which is exceptionally easy, and requires jumping from a high board into water, then remaining afloat for a few minutes. I've had more experience negotiating whiskey, whisky and Guinness than I have water.

How did the big bang occur out of nothingness?

No, I am not a bible thumper.

Science has a long way to go. Somethings we may never know.
    Get yours at Webfetti.com

A Government Big Enough To Give You All You Want. Is Strong Enough To Take Everything You Have..

Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by DAI View Post
    The ability to swim is not a requirement, we have a swim test which is exceptionally easy, and requires jumping from a high board into water, then remaining afloat for a few minutes. I've had more experience negotiating whiskey, whisky and Guinness than I have water.
    Nice to know you can hold your head afloat, while drinking whisky.

A Government Big Enough To Give You All You Want. Is Strong Enough To Take Everything You Have..

Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut2 View Post

Science has a long way to go. Somethings we may never know.
    Yes it does. The main thing is though that science is not a reason or explanation, it is the process of searching for answers based on observation and testing.
    Scientific explanations are constantly being challenged, adapted, thrown out, developed, and so on. Its a slow drip process with occasional eureka moments. Scientists will also be quite hesitant to present things as absolute fact, but rather a likely probability based on observation and experimentation. We can not say that the sun will rise tomorrow with absolute certainty, but we can say that as it has risen in the morning how ever many billion times before, chances are, it will tomorrow.

Science isn't complete or perfect, but it is a process of trying to understand things and one where challenge and criticism and the development of ideas is central. Religion is revealed truth - this happened, this is how it is, period. The two are night and day. Religion is best as a part of psychology or social sciences - not the natural sciences. How anyone can say that religion should be taught alongside science and keep a straight face is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadium View Post
    Yes it does. The main thing is though that science is not a reason or explanation, it is the process of searching for answers based on observation and testing.
    Scientific explanations are constantly being challenged, adapted, thrown out, developed, and so on. Its a slow drip process with occasional eureka moments. Scientists will also be quite hesitant to present things as absolute fact, but rather a likely probability based on observation and experimentation. We can not say that the sun will rise tomorrow with absolute certainty, but we can say that as it has risen in the morning how ever many billion times before, chances are, it will tomorrow.

Science isn't complete or perfect, but it is a process of trying to understand things and one where challenge and criticism and the development of ideas is central. Religion is revealed truth - this happened, this is how it is, period. The two are night and day. Religion is best as a part of psychology or social sciences - not the natural sciences. How anyone can say that religion should be taught alongside science and keep a straight face is beyond me.
    Agree.

Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut2 View Post
    Nice to know you can hold your head afloat, while drinking whisky.
    It's like falling over in a bar and not spilling a drop of your drink: somethings you just never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by DAI View Post
    It's like falling over in a bar and not spilling a drop of your drink: somethings you just never forget.
    That's a special kind of Ninja power!