MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Thread: Newbie letter writing question

Default Newbie letter writing question

I am new to the letter writing and I prefer corresponding using only my first name. Does anyone else correspond this way or have any advice on the subject?

Default Re: Newbie letter writing question

Hi Christine & welcome, I can't speak for anyone else, but I guess it's what's you personally feel most comfortable with. I use an abridged version of my actual name, but my surname is stamped on the envelope. My child's name has only just been mentioned, but to save it falling into wrong possession it's my child's middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by christine11 View Post
    I am new to the letter writing and I prefer corresponding using only my first name. Does anyone else correspond this way or have any advice on the subject?
    Perhaps someone else will know for certain, but I do wonder if the prison mail room will deliver a letter with only a first name listed on the senders address? Will you be using a PO box address to receive replies? I suppose another possibility would be to use a generic last name, such as "Smith" (if you have no intentions of visiting your pal in prison)?

That's true, I'm pretty sure any mail room would require 1st & surnames. Perhaps Christine has just sent an initial email one over the jpay thing. But even then, the requirement I'm sure would be to put your full name & address within the letter body.

Thank you both. And that's a good idea. I may just use a generic last name. And yes I'm using a PO Box. It was a suggestion I took from this website. Well it just said some people might be more comfortable using a PO box and that it's even possible with some institutions to use just one name. However it sounds like it may be a problem and also I wouldn't want to offend anyone so I may just use a generic name.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had mail refused by a prison mail room simply because only the forename was used as a return address. Does it make a difference to them, especially when it is a letter which would otherwise be clear and without problems?
    Epistula enim non erubescit - Marcus Tullius Cicero.