MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pfizer blocks drugs from use in capital punishment

Default Re: Pfizer blocks drugs from use in capital punishment

Quote Originally Posted by willbenice View Post
    Respectfully, no this is not an ignorant statement.
    The US of A is the only first Nation who has the
    DP.
    The American President dumb guy(Donald Trump) should lead first
    but of course not...sad.
    You completely missed the point because you wanted to make some ignorant insult against the U.S. The President has almost zero influence on death penalty policy because it is carried out at the state level. The president can influence exactly 2 of the 52 prison systems in this country (federal and military) and even then cannot do it permanently without an act of Congress. A President can unilaterally stay any execution, or even let the federal prisoner out of prison completely, but that's about it. He can do jack squat about the 31 states that do have capital punishment. There are 31 different governors who have to act on that.

Additionally, as MonkeyJoe pointed out, executions by the U.S. Government are rare. There have been exactly 37 federal level executions in the past 90 years. The last one was 15 years ago!

I don't know where you get this idea that executions will somehow get worse under our current president. He's said a lot of controversial things, but never once anything about increasing the frequency of executions. It's basically a non-issue.

Like many foreigners, you display a profound lack of knowledge of how American government and culture actually works, and you use this ignorance to make pissy little insults against us. I have met some exceptions to this generalization here, but sadly you are NOT one of them.
    Last edited by Zarchery; Yesterday at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TattedBookworm View Post
    I know I'm ridiculously late for this, but I recently saw a documentary where due to the pharma companies blocking the uses of these drugs, inmates are suffering.

Basically, states with the death penalty are using pharmacists/herbalists to whip up a batch of medicine that can kill someone. The huge problem is that it's causing those sentenced to death a horrible lengthy death. The big debate is whether or not "the prisoners are aware of how long it's taking and are actually suffering" because I saw a case take around 6+ hours. No one seems to be investigating whether this is "humane" or not... as if killing someone is humane... It's incredibly sad.
    This feels like a really easy problem to fix. There are much simpler ways to kill a person that are pretty quick, less painful, and not nearly as exotic. Firing squad and hanging come to mind. There's the guillotine too, but nobody has used that for centuries. I guess it's too bloody, and this presents a health hazard to the people who weren't executed.

Its almost as if they care more about sparing the witnesses a gruesome spectacle, rather than making the condemned's death instant and painless.

Why morphine isn't used in large doses is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy View Post
    Why morphine isn't used in large doses is beyond me.
    Probably because it's a very inexact science to use it in that way. Yes it is suggested that Doctors have been known to use it on terminally ill patients in the last stages of life. But what is being suggested, as a Doctor cannot legally kill a patient. Is that these Doctors give a larger dose of Morphine, which is designed not to kill them, but to allow them a dignified & easier death.
    With drugs like morphine, what would kill one person would give another a plesant high & giving a massive over dose would cause many to die not of the over dose, but due to choking on their own vomit. As Morphine causes vomiting & stops us being able to clear it from our mouth & throat, as it suppresses the repository system.
    The other issue with Morphine is time. Allowing a terminally ill patient to humanly & gently dies at the end of their life & over a few days whilst in Hospital is one thing. But using Morphine could take many minutes to kill & even possibly over an hour in some people & is, in part, why the current cocktail system is rightly being so heavily criticised.
    Also morally & legally where would using Morphine leave the courts when it came to prosecuting drug dealers? Could the same Courts that send people to their deaths via Morphine, then sentence others who do the same, without rightly being questioned? There could be some very interesting debates on the subject. At least with a cocktail that has been specifically created for inducing death, it is a very different proposition, to using a single substance & one that is so widely abused.
    Every person has their own story.