MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Does the crime an inmate is convicted of factor into your decision to write?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the crime an inmate is convicted of factor into your decision to write?

i cant write to a child abuser cause i was often violently abused as a child. but my penpal is an admitted murderer. she was abused by her husband and went along with him in his killing.
    we treat prisoners like monsters in america. we strip, beat, humiliate them. and guess what.... they eventually get out. you want a murderer walking the streets who has only seen abuse and negativity for the past 20 years or you want these people entering society with some hope that they can fit in and do right, knowing that some people are giving them second chances. if all we are doing is trying to punish people then they will punish us as soon as they can.
    and even if the murderer is never going to get out, he will be affecting the lives of people who will get out.
    i kinda look at this pen palling as in the same neighborhood as giving a homeless person some money. my dollar very well may be the dollar to change his/her life and if that life changes, my life improves.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the crime an inmate is convicted of factor into your decision to write?

p.s. trolls calling trolls "trolls." = priceless.

DAI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
    [...]I can't deal with people who don't seem any sorry for what they did. Generally, if it's life for a murder, DR or 25 years with parole and they are seeking legal help I always have an eyebrow raised. I definitely don't want a friend who's proud of killing somebody.
    Well then, don't write to them. Simple as that.

We are adults and make our own choices, the same as they made their choices - good or bad, spur of the moment or premeditated - at the time. We all have our own standards and expectations: but you cannot say whether a person is sorry for what they have done if you don't ask them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 25929-039 View Post
    p.s. trolls calling trolls "trolls." = priceless.
    Ah, but trolls don't accept that they are trolls: they believe they're doing nothing wrong, everything quite normal in their lives. But, as we say, don't feed them.

Blog Entries
    gooddog's: Inspired

I've written to quite a few people who are murderers but I've never come across one that was "proud" of what they did. I'm sure it exists but I wouldn't write to that, either.

FreakLikeMe's: Cloud_9

I think it's kinda funny people don't want to write to murders. But their write to drug dealers who have probably killed many with their dirty crap.
    " Your time is limited, dont waste it living someone elses life"

"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."

Quote Originally Posted by Amantha View Post
    Most people dont write sex offenders, rapists, or crimes against children. Some dont write those that have committed any crime. I think it just depends on where your moral compass lies.
    Although a very old comment, I'm new here so hence why I've quoted you.
    I would have to agree we all like to say we're not judgemental but the truth is many of us are very judgemental. I personally wouldn't write to anyone convicted of rape etc.
    That's just where my moral compass lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Squ1ffy View Post
    Although a very old comment, I'm new here so hence why I've quoted you.
    I would have to agree we all like to say we're not judgemental but the truth is many of us are very judgemental. I personally wouldn't write to anyone convicted of rape etc.
    That's just where my moral compass lies.
    There is nothing wrong with having boundaries on who you will write. This should be a good experience. If you are writing to people you can't accept it will just become forced and unpleasant. No one should be judged because they won't write to inmates who have committed specific crimes they can't get past. It's a personal decision and should be decided by the person writing.

And equally, no one should be judged if they decide they can write to those who others find distasteful.

To ask well, to answer rightly,
    Are the marks of a wise man:
    Men must speak of men's deeds,
    What happens may not be hidden.
    ~ The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by sunray's wench View Post
    And equally, no one should be judged if they decide they can write to those who others find distasteful.
    Why would anyone care who you personally write?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DAI View Post
    Well then, don't write to them. Simple as that.

We are adults and make our own choices, the same as they made their choices - good or bad, spur of the moment or premeditated - at the time. We all have our own standards and expectations: but you cannot say whether a person is sorry for what they have done if you don't ask them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, but trolls don't accept that they are trolls: they believe they're doing nothing wrong, everything quite normal in their lives. But, as we say, don't feed them.

I don't. I would like to ask, genuinely, really. But because the point of writing tends to be to help them scape the environment they're in, it's probably better not to ask. And from the first letter I like to establish connection, otherwise I'm just wasting their time and resources. Would be rather selfish to write them without seriousness to compromise.