MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    310

    Default Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Kansas City Kansas banned the Employers Asking Job Applicants if they have ever been convicted of a felony.

    http://www.kmbc.com/news/kck-poised-...-move/29583888

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dancing on a rainbow ;)
    Posts
    4,523
    Earthmother's: Lurking

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    I applaud this move! I feel that if someone has paid their debt to society by having completed their prison sentence, then thye should be given a second chance - a carte-blanche relaunch into society.

    Now if only rehabilitation programming actually better prepared inmates for reintergration.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    The old world
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Totally agree that this is a good thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Today I was discussing this with others and once you scrutinize its core people start having different perspectives toward the subject. After a person made the comment (below) then I was flooded with mail that the question should remain on applications. However I remain firm, its a push for the good of rehabilitation and reform.

    "With today's society and the crimes within this society, it is hard to have a blanket policy/law that covers everything and is fair to everyone. Taking the felony box off applications is good and bad. Good for the convicted drunk driver getting a job as a lifeguard at a public pool, not good for society if a convicted pedophile wants the same job. That also goes for another post of yours...life without parole. That is good and bad for not only the inmate but for society. Many many debatable points for both sides of this table."

    As EM commented, "Now if only rehabilitation programming actually better prepared inmates for reintergration."
    I believe there are so many solutions for this. Art being one of them used as a part of rehabilitation.

    I work for an organization with college educators, psychologists, child therapists, etc...all have the 'paper' credentials backing them and that can pass any high security admissions. We proposed an art program that would NOT cost the prison a dime AND we would pay the prison so they could have their greedy profit. We provided two years of statistics in the areas of: security threat levels had lowered, the family ties became stronger which means they had more support on the outside, achieving personal goals as well as career goals, aggression levels lowered. We included additional information how 3 of our artists have gained employment and not used government benefits as a source of income or living vs those who had not participated in any of the art programs.

    We were denied.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brandon, FL, USA
    Posts
    4,686
    Blog Entries
    10
    YMIHere's: Aggressive

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Quote Originally Posted by scarab03 View Post
    Today I was discussing this with others and once you scrutinize its core people start having different perspectives toward the subject. After a person made the comment (below) then I was flooded with mail that the question should remain on applications. However I remain firm, its a push for the good of rehabilitation and reform.

    "With today's society and the crimes within this society, it is hard to have a blanket policy/law that covers everything and is fair to everyone. Taking the felony box off applications is good and bad. Good for the convicted drunk driver getting a job as a lifeguard at a public pool, not good for society if a convicted pedophile wants the same job. That also goes for another post of yours...life without parole. That is good and bad for not only the inmate but for society. Many many debatable points for both sides of this table."

    As EM commented, "Now if only rehabilitation programming actually better prepared inmates for reintergration."
    I believe there are so many solutions for this. Art being one of them used as a part of rehabilitation.

    I work for an organization with college educators, psychologists, child therapists, etc...all have the 'paper' credentials backing them and that can pass any high security admissions. We proposed an art program that would NOT cost the prison a dime AND we would pay the prison so they could have their greedy profit. We provided two years of statistics in the areas of: security threat levels had lowered, the family ties became stronger which means they had more support on the outside, achieving personal goals as well as career goals, aggression levels lowered. We included additional information how 3 of our artists have gained employment and not used government benefits as a source of income or living vs those who had not participated in any of the art programs.

    We were denied.
    That is effed up.

    Getting back to the quote....

    I know each city is doing their own thing, but I was under the impression that all it did was take it off of initial job applications. Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing is an idiot. It's not to say that someone couldn't be discriminated against because of his felony, it just means that he gets to MEET the person who will do the discriminating.

    Our city passed this as well and right now I'm working with an organization that is seeking to have it expanded to any vendors that do business with the city.
    Click here to check out my Blog!







    Run and hide your crazy and start actin’ like a lady

    Hello to my Psycho Stalker Susan Woodrell

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    A list of places who hire those with a past:

    Aamco
    Ace Hardware
    Albertson’s
    Allied Van Lines
    American Greetings
    Anderson Windows
    Apple Inc.
    Applebee’s
    Aramark
    AT&T
    Avis Rent a Car
    Avon Products
    Bahama Breeze
    Baskin-Robbins
    Bed, Bath & Beyond
    Black & Decker
    Blue Cross & Blue Shield Association
    Braum’s Inc
    Bridgestone
    Budget Rent a Car
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Campbell’s Soup
    Canon
    Carl’s Jr
    Carrier Corporation
    Caterpillar Inc.
    CDW
    Chick-fil-A
    Chili’s
    Chipotle
    Chrysler
    Cintas
    Community Education Centers
    ConAgra Foods
    Dairy Queen
    Dart Containers
    Dart Containers
    Deer Park Spring Water
    Delta Faucet
    Denny’s
    Divizio Industries
    Dole Food Company
    Dollar Rent a Car
    Dollar Tree
    Dr. Pepper
    Dunkin’ Donuts
    Dunlop Tires
    DuPont
    Duracell
    Eddie Vs Prime Seafood
    Embassy Suites
    Epson
    ERMCO, Inc.
    Family Dollar
    Firestone Complete Auto Care
    Food Services of America
    Frito-Lay
    Fruit of the Loom
    Fujifilm
    Genentech
    General Electric
    General Mills
    Georgia-Pacific
    Golden Corral
    Goodwill
    Grainger
    Great Clips
    Greyhound
    Hanes
    HH Gregg
    Hilton Hotels
    Home Depot
    IBM
    IHOP
    Ikea
    In-N-Out Burger
    International Paper
    Interstate Batteries
    J.B. Hunt Transport
    Jack in the Box
    Jiffy Lube
    Jimmy Johns
    Jimmy Johns
    Kelly Moore Paints
    KFC
    K-Mart
    Kohl’s
    Kraft Foods
    Kroger
    LongHorn Steakhouse
    Lowe’s
    LSG Sky Chefs
    McDonald’s
    Men’s Wearhouse
    Metals USA
    Miller Brewing Company
    Motorola
    NFL
    Nordstrom
    O’Charleys
    Olive Garden
    Pactiv
    Pappadeaux
    PepsiCo
    PetSmart
    Phillip Morris Inc.
    Pilgrim’s
    Pilot Flying J
    Praxair
    Preferred Freezer Services
    Raddison
    Red Lobster
    Red Robin
    Restaurant Depot
    Reyes Beverage Group
    Rubbermaid
    Safeway
    Salvation Army
    Sara Lee
    Seasons 52
    Shawnee Steele
    Sony
    Subway
    Sysco
    Teleperformance
    Tesla
    The New York Times
    Toys R Us
    Trader Joes
    Tyson Foods
    U-Haul
    US Foods
    US Steal Corporation
    Volunteers of America
    Walgreens
    Wendy’s
    WinCo Foods
    Wyndham Hotels
    Xerox
    Yard House
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

    William Shakespeare

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    They still have to pass the background screening, so all this is essentially doing is getting someone an interview. So assuming they are well liked in the interview, they can discriminate on the back end. How is this progress again?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Quote Originally Posted by scarab03 View Post
    A list of places who hire those with a past:

    Aamco
    Ace Hardware
    Albertson’s
    Allied Van Lines
    American Greetings
    Anderson Windows
    Apple Inc.
    Applebee’s
    Aramark
    AT&T
    Avis Rent a Car
    Avon Products
    Bahama Breeze
    Baskin-Robbins
    Bed, Bath & Beyond
    Black & Decker
    Blue Cross & Blue Shield Association
    Braum’s Inc
    Bridgestone
    Budget Rent a Car
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Campbell’s Soup
    Canon
    Carl’s Jr
    Carrier Corporation
    Caterpillar Inc.
    CDW
    Chick-fil-A
    Chili’s
    Chipotle
    Chrysler
    Cintas
    Community Education Centers
    ConAgra Foods
    Dairy Queen
    Dart Containers
    Dart Containers
    Deer Park Spring Water
    Delta Faucet
    Denny’s
    Divizio Industries
    Dole Food Company
    Dollar Rent a Car
    Dollar Tree
    Dr. Pepper
    Dunkin’ Donuts
    Dunlop Tires
    DuPont
    Duracell
    Eddie Vs Prime Seafood
    Embassy Suites
    Epson
    ERMCO, Inc.
    Family Dollar
    Firestone Complete Auto Care
    Food Services of America
    Frito-Lay
    Fruit of the Loom
    Fujifilm
    Genentech
    General Electric
    General Mills
    Georgia-Pacific
    Golden Corral
    Goodwill
    Grainger
    Great Clips
    Greyhound
    Hanes
    HH Gregg
    Hilton Hotels
    Home Depot
    IBM
    IHOP
    Ikea
    In-N-Out Burger
    International Paper
    Interstate Batteries
    J.B. Hunt Transport
    Jack in the Box
    Jiffy Lube
    Jimmy Johns
    Jimmy Johns
    Kelly Moore Paints
    KFC
    K-Mart
    Kohl’s
    Kraft Foods
    Kroger
    LongHorn Steakhouse
    Lowe’s
    LSG Sky Chefs
    McDonald’s
    Men’s Wearhouse
    Metals USA
    Miller Brewing Company
    Motorola
    NFL
    Nordstrom
    O’Charleys
    Olive Garden
    Pactiv
    Pappadeaux
    PepsiCo
    PetSmart
    Phillip Morris Inc.
    Pilgrim’s
    Pilot Flying J
    Praxair
    Preferred Freezer Services
    Raddison
    Red Lobster
    Red Robin
    Restaurant Depot
    Reyes Beverage Group
    Rubbermaid
    Safeway
    Salvation Army
    Sara Lee
    Seasons 52
    Shawnee Steele
    Sony
    Subway
    Sysco
    Teleperformance
    Tesla
    The New York Times
    Toys R Us
    Trader Joes
    Tyson Foods
    U-Haul
    US Foods
    US Steal Corporation
    Volunteers of America
    Walgreens
    Wendy’s
    WinCo Foods
    Wyndham Hotels
    Xerox
    Yard House

    Where did you get this list from?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Suspended between possibilities, USA
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    They still have to pass the background screening, so all this is essentially doing is getting someone an interview. So assuming they are well liked in the interview, they can discriminate on the back end. How is this progress again?
    Yeah, I thought the whole ban the box campaign is just a bit of spin. What relevance does it have in this day and age of super-public records collated by all those for-profit enterprises promising you a full background check for $49.99? I understand employers use service providers that are one tier up from the $49.99 sleazier ones, but still... no prospective employee will ever be told that they've been turned down because of a background check. All that they'll be told, as a means of appeasement and to prevent future litigation, is that the company found a 'good match' in another candidate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,412
    Amantha's: Amused

    Default Re: Job Applications "Ban the Box"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    They still have to pass the background screening, so all this is essentially doing is getting someone an interview. So assuming they are well liked in the interview, they can discriminate on the back end. How is this progress again?
    They aren't discriminating...they didn't pass the background check. It's up to them to make the right impression in the interview to convince the interviewer that they are worth taking a chance on them despite having a criminal record. You aren't going to get a decent job right out of the gate, you have to earn that. There is another option..don't commit a crime that would prevent you from getting the job you want. This gets them in the door and that's better than before.

Similar Threads

  1. Difference Between "Men" and "Guys"
    By jma2003 in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2016, 02:43 AM
  2. What is "The Game"? And "Booty Bandits"?
    By Eltaria in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
  5. For "You've got to be kidding" and "BigmamainTexas"
    By rd in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 12:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
spacer
Visit our sponsors
Email  Report Problem 
BBB Chamber of Commerce
2000-2013 WriteAPrisoner.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Must be 18 to be viewing this website and have read our Terms of Service.