MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeeprollover
Legal Discuss passport for ex felon? in the Prison Related forums; my friend is asking me if i can find out if a ex felon in the usa!!can get a passport ...
  1. #1
    andy21 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default passport for ex felon?

    my friend is asking me if i can find out if a ex felon in the usa!!can get a passport or how long he will have to wait to get one when he is released. hes tried to find out but they wont tell heim.
    thanks andy from the uk

  2. #2
    Prison Litigator is offline Not Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    Yes, a felon in the US can obtain a passport.

  3. #3
    andy21 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    thankyou very much for your reply.
    andy vondean

  4. #4
    Jeeprollover is offline Junior Member Snake Champion, Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Bugz Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hometown/State: Molalla, Oregon Currently: Michigan
    Posts
    272
    Jeeprollover's: Lurking

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    They can get one, but not all countries will allow a convicted felon to come into their country, Japan being one. If a felon does enter, and the host country doesn't allow convicted felons and finds out about it, they will expel them (just ask Katy Perry's husband).
    It's not the situation that causes the problem, it's YOUR REACTION to the situation that causes the problem




  5. #5
    Penpal is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    469
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    I agree with Jeeprollover that it would be wise to check with the Embassy in question if they need to apply for a visa first. My guess is that most will need a visa and not all will be given one.

    Prison Litigator - do you also happen to know the quickest way for ex-felons to obtain any form of ID once they are released? Because my understanding is that they won't have any ID when they are released, which in itself is a 'crime'. Like Andy, my pal has trouble finding out basic things like this as well.

  6. #6
    Jeeprollover is offline Junior Member Snake Champion, Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Bugz Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hometown/State: Molalla, Oregon Currently: Michigan
    Posts
    272
    Jeeprollover's: Lurking

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penpal View Post
    Prison Litigator - do you also happen to know the quickest way for ex-felons to obtain any form of ID once they are released? Because my understanding is that they won't have any ID when they are released, which in itself is a 'crime'. Like Andy, my pal has trouble finding out basic things like this as well.
    My PP is going through this right now. They are giving her a state ID card so she has ID when she is released. It is similiar to how the driver's license looks, but you can't drive with it. I just printed out and mailed the drivers manual that you have to study in order to take the written test (because she was already licensed, she doesn't have to take the driving test again). We are planning on having her take her drivers test within a few days after she is released so she doesn't need to have the state ID card anymore.

    Most states will issue you an ID card. You have to provide the same information as you would for driver's license - birth certificate, proof of residence, etc. For Michigan, you would check with your Secretary of State (SOS) office; other states have similiar offices. For Oregon, you go to Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) (other states may have DMV's instead of the SOS). Check with whatever agency that the state has. A ex-felon should be able to get a state ID card right away; drivers license is another story. It may take some time, especially if the crime was auto related.
    Penpal likes this.
    It's not the situation that causes the problem, it's YOUR REACTION to the situation that causes the problem




  7. #7
    sunray's wench's Avatar
    sunray's wench is offline Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,757

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penpal View Post
    I agree with Jeeprollover that it would be wise to check with the Embassy in question if they need to apply for a visa first. My guess is that most will need a visa and not all will be given one.

    Prison Litigator - do you also happen to know the quickest way for ex-felons to obtain any form of ID once they are released? Because my understanding is that they won't have any ID when they are released, which in itself is a 'crime'. Like Andy, my pal has trouble finding out basic things like this as well.
    TDCJ inmates can also use their prison photo ID when they leave so that they can get their driving licence etc.

  8. #8
    max,madmax's Avatar
    max,madmax is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    I don't know about all states but, most states will not allow a felon on parole to obtain a passport. Of course, parole is becoming a rare thing these days with the new sentencing guidelines. I have been invited to a wedding in New York at the end of July, so I'll be applying for my passport next week
    Although a lot of countries do not allow felons to enter, countries that you can drive into from the USA usually don't expel anyone unless they have reason. Speaking of which, while on escape, I got picked up in California for a altercation with somebody. I was expecting to get a lengthy sentence out there and was surprised when the judge stated California has enough problems without importing them from North Carolina. He said he would send me home if I promised never to come back. Naturally I agreed. The same thing happened in Florida. I guess North Carolina has a bad reputation with the justice systems in other states. They must be surprised that we ain't all like Goober.

  9. #9
    english2791's Avatar
    english2791 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    central,ny,usa
    Posts
    1,863
    Blog Entries
    1
    english2791's: In Love

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    Quote Originally Posted by max,madmax View Post
    I don't know about all states but, most states will not allow a felon on parole to obtain a passport. Of course, parole is becoming a rare thing these days with the new sentencing guidelines. I have been invited to a wedding in New York at the end of July, so I'll be applying for my passport next week
    Although a lot of countries do not allow felons to enter, countries that you can drive into from the USA usually don't expel anyone unless they have reason. Speaking of which, while on escape, I got picked up in California for a altercation with somebody. I was expecting to get a lengthy sentence out there and was surprised when the judge stated California has enough problems without importing them from North Carolina. He said he would send me home if I promised never to come back. Naturally I agreed. The same thing happened in Florida. I guess North Carolina has a bad reputation with the justice systems in other states. They must be surprised that we ain't all like Goober.
    lol...you seem to be asked to leave a lot of statesgood luck in NY

  10. #10
    Tacitus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: passport for ex felon?

    I am a Consular Officer with the U.S. State Department so passports are my life. The facts are: an ex-felon can get a U.S. passport once his or her "debt to society" has been paid; most visa-waiver countries will not bother to inquire if a person has a criminal background although they will expel particularly notorious individuals; for travel that requires a visa, a criminal background may make the individual ineligible for a visa and lying on the visa application to avoid this would just add another offense for which the person could be punished in that country. Also, anyone who owes outstanding child support payments is not eligible for a passport until all of the back child support has been paid and the state agency has informed the U.S. State Department that the person has no more outstanding child support. For questions about traveling overseas, the best thing to do would be to inquire with the Embassy or Consulate for the country to which the ex-felon is planning to travel (but without specifically mentioning the name of the individual (i.e. "I was in prison and now I would like to visit...")). Hope this helps!

Similar Threads

  1. passport for x-inmate
    By pennylane in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
  2. passport
    By Penbeach in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 02:26 AM
  3. Question about US passport
    By Zosja in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
  4. convicted felon
    By yoroger in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 02:26 PM
  5. The Felon Next Door
    By Michael in forum General Prison Talk
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
spacer
Visit our sponsors
Email  Report Problem 
BBB Chamber of Commerce
2000-2013 WriteAPrisoner.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Must be 18 to be viewing this website and have read our Terms of Service.