How to Write the First Letter to a Pen Pal
1. Be friendly and polite.
2. Keep your tone upbeat.
3. Share information about yourself that you think others will find interesting.
4. Tell the person who you are and what you are about.
5. Include information about your age, education and career.
6. Mention your favorite hobbies, pets, children or anything else that might unearth a shared interest with in your new friend.
7. Avoid talking about controversial topics.
8. Take care not to overwhelm the reader with too much information. Revealing a little bit at a time will pique the reader's interest.
9. Ask questions of the other person so he or she can respond.
10. Let your personality show by your choice of words and the descriptions you use.
11. Do include a recent photograph of yourself; it's nice for your penpal to have a picture of you in their mind when they write to you.
a. Remember not to share too much too soon. Wait until someone knows you before you air your family problems and secrets.
b. Use careful judgment when deciding how much information to share with a stranger. Always be cautious when it comes to revealing personal information.