MUST BE 18 OR OLDER - MUST READ TERMS OF SERVICE You Are On: Forum
 
View RSS Feed

queenbella

New Year

Rate this Entry
by , 12-24-2011 at 08:42 PM (562 Views)
Got any New Year's resolutions? I honestly never bother, because you never really keep up with it, you know? You try to, but you just somehow never keep up with it. lol.

So what are yours?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. gooddog's Avatar
    Okay, I lost my original post here due to internet acting up. Let me try this again: I don't make resolutions but I am very contemplative this time of year. I usually think about my themes for the upcoming year. This year it has turned out to be a question: "what do I no longer need?" Meaning... what outdated things or ways of thinking or self limiting thoughts do I no longer need... what could be put down, gently? Quite a lot, actually. It's a great feeling.

    Last year I had many high minded thoughts and wrote extensively in my journal, like I always do. Then, I went out dancing on New Years Eve, drank too much, and fell on my *** while dancing in socks on a wood floor thus causing 6 weeks of back pain!!!! I decided to make it slightly more meaningful this year, ha ha! No falling on my arse this year!

    What do I no longer need..? From clothes in my closet to outdated modes of thinking and being, there is quite a lot to put down.

    ps I like your blog because it gives me a place to "go off" because I am not brave enough to have my own blog, ha ha!
    queenbella likes this.
  2. Silas Sydenham's Avatar
    To early for me to be even thinking about new resolutions. Still dealing with the unfulfilled ones from last year.
    And its Boxing Day, which, for many of us in Commonwealth countries is busier than Christmas:

    December 26 is the Boxing Day holiday celebrated throughout most of Australia, except the state of South Australia. South Australia observes a holiday known as Proclamation Day, instead of Boxing Day, on December 26.

    Boxing Day is a popular time to shop for post-Christmas sales.

    Many important sports events are held on Boxing Day. The Boxing Day test match is a cricket game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The game is between the Australian National cricket team and other national teams touring Australia. In 2011 the match is between Australia and India The match starts on Boxing Day and may last up to five days. Between 1999 and 2007, the Australian cricket team won all of the Boxing Day Test matches, marking a huge victory for the nation.

    Another important sporting event that starts on Boxing Day is the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. This is also known as the Bluewater Classic and covers a distance of 630 nautical miles between Sydney Harbour and Hobart on the island of Tasmania. Traditionally, it took about six days for the yachts to reach Hobart, but now the fastest yacht usually reaches the finish in less than two days. The media interest in these prominent sports mean television programs are dominated by sporting events on Boxing Day. People also spend the day travelling home from their relatives or to an intended destination for their summer holiday, which tends to coincide with the school holiday period.

    In some parts of Australia, the post-Christmas sales begin on Boxing Day. Stores offer their excess stock that was not sold before Christmas Day at reduced prices. Many people take advantage of the sales to buy products or services at significantly lower prices. However, some states, particularly New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia, are reinforcing restrictions on stores opening on Boxing Day; as there have been riots and stampedes in some of the major department stores. In these states, the post-Christmas sales do not start until December 27.

    Boxing Day is a public holiday. Schools, other educational establishments and many organizations are closed. In some states, all stores are allowed to open. In others only certain types of stores are open. Many shops are open in tourist areas. Most public transport systems operate a reduced service. However, in most areas not conected to capital cities, there is no public transport on Boxing Day. Hotels, bars, pubs and clubs are allowed to open, and usually do a roaring trade, and most are forbidden to open on Christmas day.

    Boxing Day is a holiday in many countries of the Commonwealth of Nations. It was traditionally a day for employers in pre-industrial Britain to give bonuses of money, leftover food or old clothing to their employees, or for Lords to give agricultural tools and seeds for the coming year to their tenants. These gifts were presented in a box. Some people believe that this is the reason that December 26 is known as Boxing Day. Others think that the origin of the name is related to the box into which parishioners put church donations. In some areas, this box was opened on Boxing Day and the contents were distributed to the poor people of the parish.
  3. Silas Sydenham's Avatar
    Double, but gives me the opportunity to add:

    My incomplete resolution from last year (actually made on January 16) was to get over the simultaneous loss of my job and my lover. The job, I'm over - as I now have two part-time jobs, and am earning more money for fewer hours of toil. But the lover (who dumped me, after many years of co-habitation, for an older, wealthy man) I am still dealing with, mostly because proximity means that I see them frequently. I have forgiven them both, but forgetting the hurt is a harder thing to deal with. I gave myself twelve months to do it in. I guess it will take another twelve.
    Updated 12-25-2011 at 04:34 PM by Silas Sydenham (Double, but gives me the opportunity to add.)
  4. queenbella's Avatar
    I know what boxing day is. LOL. Thanks for the novel I guess? Twice no less.
  5. queenbella's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddog
    Okay, I lost my original post here due to internet acting up. Let me try this again: I don't make resolutions but I am very contemplative this time of year. I usually think about my themes for the upcoming year. This year it has turned out to be a question: "what do I no longer need?" Meaning... what outdated things or ways of thinking or self limiting thoughts do I no longer need... what could be put down, gently? Quite a lot, actually. It's a great feeling.

    Last year I had many high minded thoughts and wrote extensively in my journal, like I always do. Then, I went out dancing on New Years Eve, drank too much, and fell on my *** while dancing in socks on a wood floor thus causing 6 weeks of back pain!!!! I decided to make it slightly more meaningful this year, ha ha! No falling on my arse this year!

    What do I no longer need..? From clothes in my closet to outdated modes of thinking and being, there is quite a lot to put down.

    ps I like your blog because it gives me a place to "go off" because I am not brave enough to have my own blog, ha ha!
    I totally get that. I also always become uber contemplative as the year nears its end. My brain goes into extra over drive. I get all deep on myself and what not. LOL. I start to review the previous year and I think about what I want for the next. And I tend to over analyze EVERYTHING, so that also comes into play. LOL. I usually write a semi long New Year's eve piece and post it on my blog (the one I've showed you, my actual proper blog). So that will probably happen soon. hahaha.

    Yaaay! I'm glad I can give you a place to "go off"..hahahaha. Dude, get the courage and start a blog of your own!
  6. Silas Sydenham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by queenbella
    I know what boxing day is. LOL. Thanks for the novel I guess? Twice no less.
    I know well that you know everything that is worth knowing. But there will be others reading your blog who will not. 30 years of writing to penpals, and the question I get asked most often - after how big is my penis? - is what the phuck is boxing day?

    It did turn out to be something of a novella. And I didn't know we were susceptible to doubles on blogs - the internet is very slow at my end today.

    All the best to you and your loved ones for the New Year.
  7. gooddog's Avatar
    Arg, I had one, during a very contemplative week at the beach last summer but then I decided I was blathering too much and erased the whole thing. Totally normal behavior for ME, lol!

    I just went through the whole "over analyzing" thing with my pp and asked him to forgive me for "going off" into lands of wonder in my mind with unbelievable ponderings of life, the world, and beyond. Naturally, he says "there's nothing to forgive" but I can definitely become quite self conscious about blathering blather that will come out of me, lol!!!!

    See, I'm doing it on YOUR blog not my own so it's okay, in my twisted little mind.
  8. queenbella's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Sydenham
    Double, but gives me the opportunity to add:

    My incomplete resolution from last year (actually made on January 16) was to get over the simultaneous loss of my job and my lover. The job, I'm over - as I now have two part-time jobs, and am earning more money for fewer hours of toil. But the lover (who dumped me, after many years of co-habitation, for an older, wealthy man) I am still dealing with, mostly because proximity means that I see them frequently. I have forgiven them both, but forgetting the hurt is a harder thing to deal with. I gave myself twelve months to do it in. I guess it will take another twelve.

    Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, I would also just take another 12 months!
  9. queenbella's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddog
    Arg, I had one, during a very contemplative week at the beach last summer but then I decided I was blathering too much and erased the whole thing. Totally normal behavior for ME, lol!

    I just went through the whole "over analyzing" thing with my pp and asked him to forgive me for "going off" into lands of wonder in my mind with unbelievable ponderings of life, the world, and beyond. Naturally, he says "there's nothing to forgive" but I can definitely become quite self conscious about blathering blather that will come out of me, lol!!!!

    See, I'm doing it on YOUR blog not my own so it's okay, in my twisted little mind.
    Fack me, my laptop died right as I was typing something up to you. Now I totally forgot what it was. LOL. Well I was going to say: DOOO EET! I wanna read gooddog's blog!
    Silas Sydenham likes this.
  10. stu's Avatar
    Hi silas sorry to hear that, nice boxing day info though I'm sure in time your heart will heal have a great new year
    Silas Sydenham likes this.
  11. Silas Sydenham's Avatar
spacer
Visit our sponsors
Email  Report Problem 
BBB Chamber of Commerce
2000-2013 WriteAPrisoner.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Must be 18 to be viewing this website and have read our Terms of Service.